Takeaway on Friday

I was struck by an idea from Michael of My Aching Head in his Eat.Drink.Blog follow-up post:

I have also long had the desire to create a bit more of a shorter form of blogging, in part stepping back to the Kottke style of linking and making small and valuable comment. It is something that isn’t really done here in the Australian food blogging community and I think it might be interesting to my readers.

I think so too – quite often things I think are worth mentioning slip me by entirely because I get so caught up in the lack of time to write a considered or detailed post. Cath from The Canberra Cook has an occasional series called Internet Salmagundi, which is a link post, but not exclusively food-related. (A salmagundi is a dish of minced meat with eggs, anchovies, vinegar and seasoning, or a medley or miscellany)

So I’m going to experiment with a Friday afternoon link post of food and cookery-related writing that’s intrigued, delighted or appalled me in the last little while. This week, a delight and an invitation:

The delight is a piece by one of the granddaddies of Australian blogging, Tim Dunlop. A blog round-up article by Tim in the Fairfax press in late 2003 or early 2004 was what got me first reading blogs; in those days you could give a round-up of the Australian blogsophere in a column;) He’s blogged for The Australian in the past, and now writes Johnny’s in the Basement, Crikey’s music blog. Tim has always talked about cooking and his enjoyment of it, and my recent twittergasm about the arrival of my new knife (from Japan, in a friend’s luggage) has finally fired him up to to write Music to Sharpen Knives by. You need to register to comment, but the registration counts for all Crikey blogs.

The invitation has been extended by Neil, of At My Table, who I was fortunate to meet at last weekend’s conference. Neil has written very movingly on his blog about his beloved daughter M, who has autism. April 2 is World Autism Day, and Neil is planning to make a contribution:

At My Table will be taking part in the day by cooking a dish of one single colour, to represent the diets of some of those, especially children, on the autistic spectrum whom only eat food that is of one particular colour, something of a nightmare for parents concerned with good nutrition.

If anyone else could manage the difficult task of a one coloured dish and would like to blog it, I would be happy to link to your post. It would be a tremendous show of support for parents, who, quite frankly, often run out of ideas. You can find my contact details in the right-side column.

I’m thinking orange; probably some kind of pumpkin, sweet potato, tomato, carrot tagine. Or maybe some gnocchi.

#1 FDB on 26.03.10 at 3:54 pm

Brown.

It is the best colour for food to be.

#2 Zoe on 26.03.10 at 6:48 pm

Or white – noodles, tofu, chicken, fish, leeks, water chestnuts. Lotsa good white stuff.

#3 su on 28.03.10 at 9:48 am

For a long time my lads would only eat white or cream coloured foods – white bread, cheese, chicken. My 13 year old still calls all forms of meat “chicken”. What a great way to mark the day.

#4 Johanna GGG on 28.03.10 at 3:23 pm

If I could find some purple carrots I would love to post a purple dish – have already done so once on my blog and it was lots of fun – will check out neil’s post – I love participating in blog events but am not great at finding out about local ones

I see a few other bloggers doing a round up of interesting links and it is a great way to find some of the choice current content and ideas floating around – Kathryn at Limes and Lycopene and Lisa Dempster both post some great links

#5 dogpossum on 02.04.10 at 8:11 pm

We do a very nice warm vegetable salad with herbs that’s all green. Spinach, beans, zuchini (skin on!)… you wilt them, then toss a supergarlicky herby dressing over the top. That sort of dressing mightn’t go over well with littlies, so a sort of olivey oily, basic dressing would work just as well, especially tossed over warm veggies.
The important part is super fresh vegetables _just_ wilted the right amount.

#6 cannabis seeds on 02.10.14 at 2:28 am

the plant doubling or even more in proportions is increased dramatically, with all
by place advancement. The vegetable starts to build up bracts/bracteoles where the limbs meet
up with the base (nodes).