What my veggie garden looks like at the Winter Solstice

Today in Canberra it’s cool but not cold, although a grey and drippy sort of day. We’ve lots more heavy frosts to come, but the solstice is the right time for planting garlic so in they go. The kale’s doing a lot better since I viciously slaughtered the white cabbage moth caterpillars, the artichokes are going crazy and the raspberries are flowering.

Veggie garden at the Winter Solstice In pots near the front door, the mizuna and sorrel have gone beserk:

mizuna in front, sorrel behind

The chervil didn’t make it, but there are three self seeded broccoli plants in its place, so no complaints from me. (Although I think they need some fish emulsion, the leaves are a little too yellow.) From the longest night tonight, gradually there’ll be a little more light each day and it will be Spring again.

volunteer broccoli

#1 Arwen from Hoglet K on 21.06.09 at 5:41 pm

It’s great that your self seeded broccoli has come true to type. I saved some seeds last winter, but didn’t plant them because I thought they were probably hybrids.

Your garden’s looking great, and the leaf greens look very space efficient in their pots.

#2 kel on 21.06.09 at 6:23 pm

man, jealous. my kale hasnt moved alot in the last month despite the caterpillar cull…artichokes look great and flowers on your rasberries..you in the same hemisphere?

#3 Ed on 21.06.09 at 6:26 pm

How did you get rid of the caterpillars? They ate my horseradish. On a brighter note, I planted garlic on this solstice, wearing my wizard costume.

#4 Zoe on 21.06.09 at 6:59 pm

Thanks Arwen; it was a bit of a shock to see it looking well today, as I’ve been neglecting it.

Not sure about the raspberries, kel, as they’ve never shown any signs of really bearing much – maybe we’re about to get lucky,

Ed the caterpillar ridding requires a longish thumbnail and patience. I just ran the edge of my nail over every bloody leaf until I found the very well camoflaged evil grubs – exactly the same colour as the leaf and tiny. There were lots of little spots which I thought might be eggs, so I crushed them all. There’s still a few holes, but it’s nowhere near as bad as it was before.

#5 Dr Sister Outlaw on 21.06.09 at 7:38 pm

Love slaughtering grubs … your garden looks very well tended now Zoe. Mine looks like the Somme exactly this time in 1916!

#6 kel on 21.06.09 at 7:44 pm

note to Ed. yes my horseradish is stripped bare the bastards~still better that than all the kale..

#7 kate on 22.06.09 at 10:30 am

I spent a few weeks picking caterpillars and eggs off the brassicas and they’re all looking pretty good. The first moth turned up while I was still planting, which had the Bloke and I swearing a bit about giving us a fair shake of the sauce bottle etc etc. I suspect they haven’t returned because it got too cold. The cabbage moths have probably gone inside to sit by a fire like nearly everyone else around here.

The spinach is good too, we’re picking a few leaves here and there, but I neglected the beans and they got done by frost. I did manage to get some weeding done the other day and rediscover the parsley. Oh, and the broad beans are up, which always makes me feel better, spring will come, spring will come, spring will come…

#8 ampersand duck on 22.06.09 at 5:18 pm

Oh wow, I bought some local garlic on the weekend at the markets, feeling the urge to plant it, not realising that it’s an ancient urge and is RIGHT! HUZZAR for meridian lines or whatever teh ancient knowledge is attributed to!

#9 shauna on 23.06.09 at 9:20 pm

Ooh yeah that all looks fab. Never felt compelled to call broccoli “cute” before, but there you go :)

#10 Kirsten (same person, new blog) on 01.07.09 at 10:01 pm

It sure looks better than mine. Ours has been seriously neglected since before the frosts even started, and still has the sad carcasses of tomato and zuchinni plants strewn through it. Silverbeet and masses of self seeded parsley are of course going strong, but aside from that it’s looking rather pathetic.

#11 St33v on 07.07.09 at 6:15 pm

Derris dust. Its natural so it must be good for you.

#12 Zoe on 07.07.09 at 8:17 pm

Uranium is natural too, St33v, but I won’t be putting that on my organic veggies either, smarty pants.