Anzac biscuits

An Australian institution. Note, we call them biscuits here, not cookies.

1 cup plain flour
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup “soft pack” brown sugar
3/4 cup dessicated coconut
2 tablespoons of golden syrup
125 g butter (half of a small block)
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
50 ml (2 tablespoons) boiling water

If you don’t live in Australia, I don’t like your chances of finding Golden Syrup* (not Molasses), which is pretty much peculiar to Australia, and I think the desiccated coconut is different too.

Anyway.

First, predeploy – sorry preheat – the oven at 150 degrees C. Secure key infrastucture (grease/line baking sheets).

Sift flour and mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.

Melt the butter and golden syrup together in a saucepan. Boil the water while you’re doing that. (Watch the butter and syrup mixture – turn the heat off before it becomes a quagmire.)

Now the fun bit.

Quickly mix the bicarb into the boiling water and add to the melted ingredients in the saucepan. It will foof up like some demented chemical Weapon of Mass Destruction. Before it foams right out of the saucepan and causes a Code Orange situation, add it to the dry ingredients. Mix all together – it should be quite difficult because you don’t want the mixture to be too wet. Tone that upper body.

Make the mixture into balls of a size depending on whether you like enormous cafe-style things or small biscuits. I use two soup spoons to squash the mixture together in a nice consistent size.

Place on greased / paper lined trays (which you should have pre-emptively, sorry, Previously prepared) and bake them. They’ll spread and flatten out to occupy a bit more territory, so they need space in between. Check them after 15 minutes – Mine tend to cook unevenly so I have to switch the trays between shelves and turn them around, but you might have a better oven. Check them every 5 minutes after that until they are a nice warm brown colour. Cool on racks, store in airtight etc, yada, yada.

Makes an absolutely indeterminate number of Anzacs (Platoons?) depending on the size you want, and for this reason, cooking time is pretty variable too.

*Originally posted April 2007. Since this post was written, Crooked Timber has addressed the Golden Syrup availability issue here.

#1 Caroline on 24.04.09 at 7:22 pm

Made umptee thousands of these for caffe. Never boiled the water though. Did discover the reason why I use to hurl the the littel buggers from palm to palm, when the last batch, made other day (and first in a long time,) I didn’t do this and they spread out and joined forces in the tray.

#2 Dr Sister Outlaw on 24.04.09 at 9:01 pm

nom nom nom

#3 another outspoken female on 25.04.09 at 10:11 am

It makes me feel doubly unpatriotic to be both an Aussie
and a kiwi yet not get excited by anzac biscuits. While not being entirely averse it would be the last choice if these were the only sweet things in the tins as a kid. Give me afghan biscuits any day!

#4 Ed on 25.04.09 at 12:44 pm

Just saw Anzac Cookies at the Abbottford Convent Bakery. What’s going on?

#5 librarygirl on 25.04.09 at 1:35 pm

After years of making horrible Anzacs, finally I think I’ve mastered them – walnut size balls of dough on the tray, 4cm space in between and not too long in the oven – probably 12 minutes.

#6 Heidi on 25.04.09 at 2:14 pm

I’m definitely going to try these. Maybe this time they’ll turn out and not taste like itty bitty bits of leather. Thanks for the tips!

#7 Wink and a Nod on 25.04.09 at 5:25 pm

I’ve heard people say that Anzac biscuits make a great base for novelty *cough*dope*cough* flour.

#8 Francis Xavier Holden on 25.04.09 at 5:51 pm

I think it goes without saying that since Nam it is perfectly patriotic, or even in some circles mandatory, to include a bit of Brunswick Brown, Queensland Topheads or Hastings Hydro in the mix.

#9 worldpeace and a speedboat on 25.04.09 at 11:53 pm

made myself a double batch today… always make double so I don’t feel half so guilty about eating so much mixture before it gets in the oven.

our recipes are almost identical! save that I microzap the butter and syrup to save cleaning a saucepan… I’ll do almost anything to save cleaning a saucepan.

Wink and a Nod: yes. although my double batch was default mode Anzac with a Nanna and a toddler lurking :-)

#10 Helen on 27.04.09 at 8:58 am

Just saw Anzac Cookies at the Abbottford Convent Bakery.

Horror!