A Dinner of Righteous Maturity to conclude a three lolly bag weekend

Five Kinds of Fuck-Off Rad

Rachel of Thus Bakes Zarathustra is presently sojourning with a bunch of Yankee pointyheads in pursuit of her PhD. Writing at TBZ’s previous incarnation she said:

The thing is the next day I came home from the library starving and sick of books, and there was a bowl of carrot and avocado salad in the fridge and this cake, and I ate it and I felt a rush of righteous maturity akin to flossing my teeth or getting a pap smear.

We all need that feeling sometimes, don’t we?

F’rinstance Another Outspoken Female blogs her annual spring detox, and Kathryn Elliot of Limes & Lycopene is preparing to blog a whole month of Righteous Maturity in August.

Owy spent the weekend in Melbourne, catching up with an old friend after attending the Australian Truffle Grower’s Information Day on Friday. It seems he gave the catching up part a red-hot go as he has returned home very weary and a tiny bit broken. It would be silly to not take advantage of a few kid-free days, but I’m worn out myself from a few days of early rising – 4:12 this morning being the earliest start. It’s amazing how you notice that :12 in the cold and dark of the morning. His turn tomorrow! Yay!

The kids have also been living it up with me flying solo – our regular Happy Hour on Friday afternoon, with my mates Byrd and Jude, and six little boys and a couple of bottles of champagne between us. Stay at home parents are vastly more in need of happy hour than office workers, in my opinion, and it’s become a regular event here. Byrd turned up with a big parcel of hot chips, and I already had some marinated chicken wings in the oven. Because they rock, the kids also gobbled up some carrot and cucumber “stars” – peeled with a julienne peeler and sliced into coins. This process might seem fiddly, but it renders the otherwise horrific edible. Then we had a disco dancing competition to Kool and the Gang. It’s a lot more fun than it might sound.

On Saturday we went to my best friend Katie’s 40th birthday party at a lovely little pub in the Southern Highlands, and the kids got a lolly bag. We spent five hours in the car, including waiting out a huge traffic jam on the freeway after a semi trailer full of pig carcasses had crashed. Fortunately Sage is not one of those kids who realises that “chicken” is chicken, and bursts into tears before embarking on a life of veganism. We passed some particularly handsome cows near Moss Vale and he said how much he liked them. I asked why, and he said “Because they have milk and meat!” Maybe we let him watch the domestic chooks get dispatched too early?

Today (Sunday) involved my nephew’s 5th birthday (big lollybag) and the 6th birthday of Sage’s fiancée, Nyssa (lollybag). Tonight my plan for dinner was to include as many different ingredients as could to combat the ways in which we’d each punished ourselves. Lucky I used to be a dirty hippy once, and I know how to make this shit. Versions change according to what’s to hand; these were tonight’s versions:

carrot and beetroot salads

chunks of kent pumpkin , baked until a bit sweet and squishy.

bok choy cut in long slim wedges, steeped in boiling water and well drained.

grated beetroot salad – combine the juice of half an orange with two teaspoons of egg mayonnaise and a tablespoon of yoghurt in a jar and shake like crazy. Thin with buttermilk if too thick, but go easy because you want a very light hand with the dressing. Grate three beetroot into a bowl and mix – by hand is best. Top with toasted sesame seeds and thyme.

grated carrot salad – you should make this before the beetroot, btw, because carrot can be disguised as beetroot much more easily than the reverse. I would normally use coriander, but had none, so I used what parsley I could scavenge from the garden, lemon juice and black cumin seeds. Green onions sliced into horses’ ears are very good too, but the leek and garlic already had that angle covered.

quite a plain tomato and red lentil dahl with a moderate amount of coconut milk – one cup of rinsed red lentils cooked in one litre of water with one cup of canned coconut milk, a fat pinch of tumeric, a piece of cassia bark, four bashed green cardamom pods and half a can of tomatoes. Normally I’d add some dried chilli too, but I was going gentle.

a dahl topping made from leek and spices – heat some mustard oil in a frying pan, and slowly cook a cleaned and sliced leek with some curry leaves (I used frozen as I’ve none fresh). Add garlic after a little while, and after a bit push the leek to the side of the pan, heat a splash more oil in the middle and then add about a tablespoon of brown mustard seeds. When they pop, remove the pan from the heat and stir in ground spices – I used one lid of coriander seeds to half a lid of cumin and half a lid of fennel seeds. I don’t know how big your lids are, so you’ll have to be guided by your instincts there. Normally this would go on top of the dahl (and be made with ghee, and a lot more of it) but I was hoping Jethro would eat some.

tahini sauce with umeboshi -this sauce sends me into ten kinds of happy nostalgia. I first had it when I did some Vipassana mediation retreats where we were eating a vegan and macrobiotic diet cooked by a marvellous Dutch/Indonesia ex-Sufi kundalini yoga teacher called Nirvair Kaur who helped me a lot, and it just screams RIGHTEOUS MATURITY to me. It’s also very tasty. Umeboshi may seem a complete wank, and it is hard to find. But it’s not horribly expensive and keeps for a million years. If I didn’t have any, I’d use apple cider vinegar – mix three tablespoons of tahini with half a tablespoon of umeboshi paste, the juice of half a lemon and a glug of tamari and half a teaspoon of maple syrup. Thin with hot water.

gomashio – toast a quarter of a cup of sea salt in a frypan until it “sparkles” (Thank you Sean Moran for that tip). Add a tablespoon of sesame seeds and shake the pan over the heat until you can smell them toasting. Grind in a mortar and pestle, but not too much – don’t let it get dry and powdery. You can store leftovers in a jar in the fridge for a bit.

brown rice – we almost always have brown rice. It’s nuttier and more densely textured, and piss easy to cook in the rice cooker.

Owen and I ate enthusiastically but moderately. Sage wanted a wrap, then wanted rice again, and ended up eating bok choy and brown rice wrapped in a corn Mountain Bread. Fine by me. Jethro turned his nose up at dahl, proudly waved his tiny knife and fork for a considerable period, purposefully handed his pumpkin to Owen and then put lots of carrot salad in his glass of water. We didn’t offer him any beetroot. Situation normal.

#1 kate on 28.07.08 at 10:03 am

We had mandarin in milk the other day. All Time Low.

Your food, on the other hand, sounds marvellous.

#2 Zoe on 28.07.08 at 1:19 pm

It was pretty damn great, actually. Unfortunately it was at 5:30 (when the kids need to eat). There may have been a very small bowl of braised oxtail and mashed potato eaten later on. Very small.

#3 another outspoken female on 28.07.08 at 1:59 pm

I think that Sunday meal of yours gets a gold star and the righteous eating award of the week :)

It’s still so cold down in Melbourne that the spring detox seems a long way away at the moment!

#4 Kirsty on 28.07.08 at 8:53 pm

It all looks good Zoe. The kind of thing I would make after an ‘OMG I haven’t eaten any vegetables ALL DAY, howcanthatbe?!” sort of day.

That said, when I saw that beetroot salad I remembered how much I scared myself this morning having forgotten about the lentil and roast beetroot salad I ate yesterday…

#5 Crit on 29.07.08 at 10:32 am

Beetroot salad is good. I dress it with something like a cross between your dressing for it and your umeboshi sauce (tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt & water, all shaken into submission)

#6 FDB on 29.07.08 at 11:31 am

Righteous indeed Zoe.

You could trot off to CERES after a meal like that and be greeted like a monarch. Even if you wore two different types of fabric and leather shoes.

#7 ampersand duck on 29.07.08 at 12:06 pm

I’ve got Bumblebee LOVING the dahl & rice thing, which is great because it’s an easy way to stash vegetables and can be jazzed up for the adults with some wicked lime pickle.
Mmm… dahl & lime pickle…

#8 St33v on 29.07.08 at 1:11 pm

eheh

d -> s

;)

#9 Rach on 29.07.08 at 6:01 pm

You know, I had a very odd experience. I read the quote at the top of this and I thought ‘That’s a bit clever, wish I’d written that.’ Then the fog of jetlag cleared and I realised I had written that. This is either a sign of pathological narcissism or early onset dementia. I think it might be both.

My word, I would murder a bowl of that grated beetroot salad right now. And the grated carrot salad. I’ve yet to grate beetroot without a food processor as I imagine it would make the kitchen look like a murder scene. I also love a good tahini sauce, though I’ve yet to have a dirty hippy phase, unless you count the yoga classes I take at a polite, bourgeois urban studio.

Either way, could you come over and cook for me pls, kthxbye.

#10 Zoe on 29.07.08 at 7:16 pm

Both boys deemed the dahl Unworthy, Duck. Oh well.

Rach, don’t fear the ‘troot. I used to use the food processor but now I use my big sturdy box grater instead. Washing up the food processor was too much of a drag, particularly because you had to wipe the carroty stains off with kitchen paper and vegetable oil.

And let me know when you’re visiting your mum next, and I’ll make you dinner.

#11 Kate on 29.07.08 at 8:49 pm

I’m thinking about all this detoxing too – after 3 weeks with no exercise after a surgical procedure* my body appears to be turning into a bag of soggy chips.

*A small one but a month with no heavy lifting is rather a long time.

#12 Cristy on 12.08.08 at 12:02 pm

“Fortunately Sage is not one of those kids who realises that “chicken” is chicken, and bursts into tears before embarking on a life of veganism.”

mmm, I feel my ears burning…

#13 Cristy on 12.08.08 at 12:07 pm

Interestingly Lily loves dahl and rice. She really is doomed to be a mini-hippy, poor child.

#14 Zoe on 13.08.08 at 8:28 pm

Well not you exactly, you and the others ; )

He doesn’t like dahl much, but he’s pretty a good eater of veggies.

#15 There is a food for every occasion « Inner City Garden on 26.05.09 at 9:13 pm

[...] Veggies plus salt and cheese, and not just any veggie, it’s the veggie with the highest Righteous Maturity [...]

#16 emica on 30.12.09 at 8:16 pm

i just found this older post and wanted to comment because, after a week of Christmas indulgence, where my diet consisted of turkey, ham, pudding, cheese, nuts and various forms of alcohol (on repeat), plus basically a month of drinking, last night I made a selection of salads with pita bread and it felt goooood!

One of my Christmas pressies from The Man was the Ottolenghi cookbook, my absolute favourite cafe, and a couple of the salads came from the book:

cauliflower with dill and caper dressing
charred eggplant & pomegranate molasses dip mmmmm
my best ever coleslaw. I make the best slaw. Fact.

plus some yummy Bulgarian feta and grilled peppers from the Turkish mini market.

Ahhh did me a power of good :)

I think I’ll pop over to Ottolenghi for lunch on my week off. Bliss!

#17 Zoe on 31.12.09 at 12:07 am

The Ottolenghi book is about No. 2 on my “Top 5 cookbooks I got this year which you really want too, if you know what’s good for you”.

We had the cucumber and poppyseed salad on Christmas day, but the best reception was for the two chicken dishes I made for Owen’s birthday in September – one with honey, saffron and nuts, and one with sumac. Beautiful food. I am staggered too, that noone seems to mention the extreme handsomeness of Mr Ottolenghi, as pictured in his book. Grrr.

#18 emica on 31.12.09 at 4:08 am

oooh! I wanted to make cucumber & poppyseed last night, but the Turks didn’t have any which seems somehow odd. So I’m making it tonight along with mum’s carrot, cashew and coriander salad, except with hazelenuts because that’s what I’ve got and I’m allergic to actually following an actual recipe.

I treated myself to lunch at Ottolenghi’s today. I had the most delicious thing I have ever eaten: green bean salad with mushrooms, tarragon and truffle oil. Oh my lord it was good! It was atmospheric (really!).

I agree Zoe, mr Ottolenghi is very dishy. I keep hoping he’ll turn up at the Islington cafe and engage me in deep conversation about… sprouts or something…anything…

#19 Zoe on 31.12.09 at 6:25 am

mr Ottolenghi is very dishy <- I see what you did there!

#20 Jenny on 20.10.13 at 3:37 pm

What do u use the tahini umiboshi sauce for